Name: Vanessa Michelle Nicon Aadland
DOB: June 22 1988
Home Town: Kirkland, Washington
Sponsors: Evo, Surface, Joy Stick, Strafe Outerwear, Dalbello, Smith, Skullcandy, Rime Knits, Webit Designs, Outdoor Technology, Snowdrifta, Toaster Shades, Isotonix.
From competitions in South America, photo shoots in Europe to chasing pow in Alaska, I’ve been introduced to the most incredible people. People who are genuinly happy because they do what they love everyday. I’ve slept on an array of couches, sold everything, broke most my bones, lost jobs, friends and heroes, but I NEVER stopped loving skiing! It’s not all cupcakes and smiles, but if you want it bad enough you’ll make it happen… and when you finally do, it feels so good!
I grew up in the Pacific North West where my dad taught me to ski at 3 years old. My parents have the love so I got spoiled with “sick days” from school so my mom had someone to car pool to the mountains with. After graduating from High School, I worked nights and skied whenever possible. Alpental, a steep resort with limitless backcountry, redefined my skiing and exposed me to steep and technical lines while I chased my two brothers. By 17 learning back country safety became a big part of my everyday riding. In the fall of 07 I moved to Utah and havn’t looked back since. I’m currently living at the base of Little Cottonwood Canyon with great friends and my dog Baker.
This winter I plan to keep Snowbird/Alta my home while I shoot, film, travel, tour, and compete in the Freeskiing World Tour.
From sacrifices small to big, it’s all been worth it because I LOVE MY LIFE!
Some random stuff:
- My brothers and I got “ski bum” tattooed on our butt
- I love mint tea, foos ball, mooning people, and dancing the night away
- My Mom is my best friend and my Dad is a ripping telemarker and a rocket scientist, for real.
- I have broken my knee, shoulder, elbow, back in 4 places, sternum, dislocated my shoulder, seperated my other shoulder.
- I have a growing list of things I want to do before I die
- My biggest fears are bee’s and getting tickeled to death
- I eat on average, two apples a day
- My perfect moment is shredding moon lit pow with my friends
- I am a day dreamer
- I’ve traveled all over the States, Canada, New Zealand, Argentina, Chile, Switzerland and Indonesia
Whats Important to me:
- family and friends
- focusing on the positive
- overcoming challenges
- helping others
- living a life of gratitude!!!